Thursday, January 27, 2011

Getting to Brazil

The moment I picked up my visa at the Brazilian consulate (which only took just one day to process), I went down to the bus terminal to investigate busses to Brazil. Considering my desire to see the Brazilian side of the Iguazu Falls and get deep into Brazil, I opted on an arrangement in which a driver would pick me up at my hostel, drive me across the border and on over to the Brazilian Iguazu Falls Park, pick me up several hours later and then take me to the long distance bus station and get me on an overnight bus to Sao Paulo. I sensed with limited time, I'd not be able to make such connections with public transit...and it all worked out for about $20. There was a brief moment when I was waiting for the driver to appear (with the luggage that he agreed to hold for me while I was at the park) and he hadn't yet arrived. For a moment I contemplated the thought of what if he'd absconded with my luggage, etc. Despite my fears and that one moment in which they might have been realized, being here is SO good.

Brazil has a wonderful energy. Everyone lights up when you talk to them (even if you can barely speak Portuguese). Suddenly I'm no longer a disheveled tourist, but rather an interesting person to tease and flirt with. For that alone I would move here in an instant:)

The bus ride from Iguazu to San Paolo was really long. It left Iguazu at 6 pm and arrived in San Paolo at 11 am the next morning. Unlike the Argentinian Super Cama, it made many stops. And it was only a Semi-Cama, being that the seats did not fold all the way flat and one had to bring their own pillows and blankets. I had none and just sort of toughed it out. On some of the stops there were "kilo restaurants" where there was a buffet of items and the result was weighed and then paid for. No doubt a good solution to America's obesity epidemic--if everyone who goes to Sizzler, Hometown Buffet, Fresh Choice and Souplantation had to pay by weight, they might ultimately start weighing less!

Upon arrival at the bus terminal in Sao Paolo, my confusions really began. I had my invitation letter from my couchsurfing host, Rosaly, with a series of subway directions followed by walking directions. First on my agenda was to get some Brazilian Reales (my Argentine pesos were useless here) and I kept asking for an ATM. I made no sense to anyone as if such a thing did not exist. I was astounded -- how could a major metropolitan center, NOT have them? Finally, in discussing this with some men in police-like uniforms, I found out that what I needed was a Cajero Electronico -- and yes there was an entire area devoted to different ones from different banks. Eventually one of them accepted my bank card--I withdrew 100 reales (having no idea whether that was a lot or a little) and headed to the metro.

After negotiating three trains and only one stairway (most of the stations have escalators), I got off at the "Clinicas" stop and began to walk to Rosaly's apartment. She wasn't yet home and so I went out to lunch. I picked a Kilo Restaurant in that sorting out a menu in Portuguese was a bit too overwhelming. While munching on mushroom ravioli in cream sauce, salad, tropical fruit, and broiled chicken I watched some very weird shows on Brazilian TV. There was what looked like an infomercial on non-fat beer, something on a pit bull looking dog that poached cats, and who knows what else.

No comments:

Post a Comment